Fascinating list on Wikipedia of the etymology of company names. For instance:
- Kinko's — from the college nickname of founder, Paul Orfalea. He was called Kinko because he had curly red hair. The company was bought by FedEx for $2.4 billion in 2004.
- Nabisco — formerly The National Biscuit Company, changed in 1971 to Nabisco.
- Reebok — alternate spelling of rhebok, an African antelope.
- Starbucks — named after Starbuck, a character in Herman Melville's novel Moby Dick.
- Williams-Sonoma — founded by Chuck Williams in Sonoma, California.
- Yoplait — from the merger of Yola and Coplait in 1965.
Labels: etymology, Friday fun